About Our Scholarships
The Headliners Foundation annually awards scholarships to outstanding undergraduate communication students and college journalists attending universities across the state of Texas.
The Headliners Foundation, associated with the Headliners Club in Austin, has been awarding scholarships to outstanding students interested in journalism for more than 30 years. In awarding the scholarships, the Foundation considers first of all the talent for and the commitment to journalism as demonstrated in an application essay and the applicant’s involvement with journalism, either professionally or on campus. The Foundation also considers grades and the recommendations of teachers or professional journalists. Financial need is taken into consideration only when all other qualities are considered equal. Past scholarship recipients include reporters, producers, authors, photographers and journalists around the country.
The following scholarships may be awarded:
1. The Headliners Foundation may award as many as six Headliners Founders’ scholarships valued up to $6,000 per school year ($3,000 each semester) to students at Texas colleges and universities.
2. The George Christian Scholarship of up to $6,000 is awarded annually ($3,000 each semester) to a University of Texas at Austin student who exemplifies a commitment to news reporting, with preference given to candidates with experience at The Daily Texan.
3. The Sam Wood Scholarship (up to $3,000 per year) is awarded to a Baylor student in memory of the former editor of the Austin American-Statesman.
4. The Jack Keever Scholarship is awarded to the managing editor of The Daily Texan at UT Austin each semester. The summer scholarship is valued at $250 and the fall and spring semester scholarships are valued at $750 each. The managing editor of The Daily Texan may also apply for and receive a Headliners Founders’ scholarship as listed above.
5. The Texas Associated Press Broadcasters Scholarship, valued at up to $2,000 per school year, will be awarded to a qualified broadcast student enrolled at a Texas college or university.
6. The Headliners Foundation began administering the Stuart Long Memorial Scholarship for Aspiring Journalists for the school year 2015/2016. Scholarships totaling as much as $7,000, including one of up to$3,000, are awarded annually to undergraduate students attending Central Texas universities, i.e., The University of Texas at Austin, Texas State University, Huston-Tillotson University, St. Edward’s University, Concordia University and Southwestern University. Financial need is a consideration for choosing these scholarship recipients.
7. The Sarah and Ernest Butler Scholarship of up to $6,000 is awarded annually to a student attending a Texas college or university.